Delta Chi's values are best stated in the preamble to their constitution, which they use as a pseudo mission statement for the fraternity. This is the most public and perhaps the best known description of the purpose of Delta Chi. The preamble reads:
"We, the members of The Delta Chi Fraternity, believing that great advantages are to be derived from a brotherhood of college and university men, appreciating that close association may promote friendship, develop character, advance justice, and assist in the acquisition of a sound education, do ordain and establish this Constitution."
Delta Chi has four core values, which are mentioned in the preamble. The four core values of Delta Chi are: Friendship, Character, Justice and Education.
Eleven Basic Expectations of a Delta Chi
Delta Chi also has a collection of expectations for each member to uphold. These Eleven Basic Expectations serve as an extension of their Preamble and give them more specific principles to live by:
- I will strive for academic achievement and practice academic integrity.
- I will respect the dignity and worth of all persons.
- I will not physically, mentally, psychologically or sexually abuse or haze any human being.
- I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.
- I will respect my property and the property of others; therefore, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
- I will meet my financial obligations in a timely manner.
- I will neither use nor support the use of illegal drugs; I will neither abuse nor support the abuse of alcohol.
- I will acknowledge that a clean and attractive environment is essential to both physical and mental health; therefore, I will do all in my power to see that the chapter property is safe, properly cleaned and maintained.
- I will know and understand the ideals expressed in my fraternity Ritual and will incorporate them into my daily life. I will exercise compassion and understanding in dealing with all persons.
- I will sustain my commitment to, and involvement with, our future throughout my lifetime.
- I will challenge all my fraternity members to abide by these fraternity obligations and will confront those who violate them.